We are a family that has been using jogging strollers for many years. Here on the farm we have carved out several paths on the back of the property that we love to explore as a family. This is not all that smooth of terrain and there has been a few strollers that were not up to the task of going off road. They would either end up breaking down or they simply would not provide a comfortable ride going over bumps and different elevations. We thought that we would help others that like to go off the beaten path with their kids and provide a list of some of the better suited running strollers for those who like to get off the concrete and get onto the dirt.
What To Look For In A Stroller For Trails
There are a few features that your jogger should have to help withstand the wear and tear of hiking trails that may offer an uneven path. Some of these include;
Having tires that you can fill with air can give you the extra cushion you need to traverse rocky terrain. This will also help ensure a smoother ride for your passenger.
Just like in cars, having an independent suspension that can absorb bumps, rocks, and gravel can keep the jarring forces away from your child. You want them to have fun and enjoy themselves as you are exploring the wilderness, and the proper suspension is a key part of their happiness. Getting a stroller with this feature is extremely vital to keeping them safe and comfortable.
Stick with brand names known for their sturdy construction. You will also want something that is lightweight as you may have to push them up an incline and want to stay in control in loose soil. We will give you some suitable options that will fit the bill now.
Joggers Geared To Going Off Road
Luckily there are several terrific options for parents looking for well built jogging strollers that can handle the punishment of uneven terrain. According to marathon-training.net, BOB strollers are the best rated joggers for just this activity. They have all of the important features listed above and they are highly rated by active parents for their rugged design.
BOB Revolution SE
This is the stroller that truly has made a name for itself and it put BOB on the map. This model has been around for several years and it continues to be one of the best joggers on the market.
- Air Filled Tires – One look at the tires on this stroller and you can tell that it is made for trails. It provides both cushion and grip that make it perfect for going off the beaten path.
- Independent suspension – This will give your child a more comfortable ride as you traverse the most demanding of paths.
- Construction – The durable lightweight frame is built to stand up to everyday use and it has proven to be quite impressive for our family over the years. This is one jogger that we have gotten a ton of use from and it still is in great shape.
BOB Revolution Flex
This is extremely similar to the SE but it has one feature that is great for parents of varying heights.
- Adjustable Handlebar – If Mom is short and Dad is tall then having a stroller that can fit both parents is a huge advantage. The handlebar on the Flex has different positions that can be used to accommodate both parents. It is important for the runner to be comfortable and not be reaching too low or too high while using the stroller. This will reduce strain, risk of injury, and make the jogger more enjoyable to push around.
Mountain Buggy Terrain Stroller
Just like its name implies, this running stroller is constructed to tackle the toughest paths.
- Large wheels – This jogger comes with big air filled tires that provide excellent traction and cushion to get over small rocks and debris. This helps produce a smoother and safer ride that your child will thank you for.
- Adjustable handlebar – Like the BOB Flex, the handlebars on this stroller can be customized to the right height to give the runner a better fit.
- Built Like A Tank – This model can also stand up to the extreme wear and tear that we have thrown its way. It is light enough to be easy to handle, but strong enough to endure countless uphill and downhill runs. This is an expensive jogging stroller, but our investment has stood the test of time and has more than paid for itself over the years.
If you love to go on hiking trails with your family and wish to take your small children with you safety should always be the most important concern. While there are some general safety practices for using a stroller, runners need to take extra precautions. Having a large canopy, making sure the trail is wide enough for a stroller, and always staying within your limits will go a long way to ensure that everyone survives your jaunt unscathed. This should be a fun activity, and having the right equipment can go a long way to help everyone enjoy it together.